Scotch Method (all in method)
500g (1lb 2oz) Strong white (bread) Flour
8g (good pinch) Salt.
285g (10oz) Cold Water.
250g (9oz) Unsalted Butter
METHOD OF MIXING
(1) Sieve together into a mixing bowl, the flour and the salt.
(2) Cut the butter into small cubes (size of walnuts) do not add at this stage but keep cool.
(3) Add the cold water to the flour/salt in the bowl and mix to half clear.
(4) Add the cubed butter and continue to mix. Do not over mix as this will produce short pastry instead of Puff. You should still be able to see lumps of butter in the paste when finally mixed.
(5) Place a cloth or cling film over the bowl and put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes so as to cool the butter and allow the gluten to rest and recover.