Apple Fruit Cake
20cm (8in) minimum 50mm deep Round cake tin.
lightly greased and lined with greaseproof/baking parchment.
Oven Temperature. 180C , 160C Fan, 360F, Gas 4.
200g (8oz) Unsalted Butter at room temp.
200g (8oz) Golden Castor Sugar.
3 Large Eggs (beaten together)
1 Tbsp Black Treacle.
200g (8oz) Self-Raising Flour.
1Tsp Mixed Spice.
1Level Tsp Baking Powder.
2 Dessert Apples approx100g each (grated).
(Granny Smith are very good)
300g (12oz) Sultanas.
(1) Weigh and measure into a suitable mixing bowl, Butter,Sugar and Black Treacle.
(2) Sieve together the SR Flour,Mixed Spice and Baking powder, set aside.
(3) Weigh the sultanas and set aside.
(4) Peel and grate the apples and add to the sultanas.
(5) Using a large spoon, wooden is ideal, or a mixing machine, beat and cream
together, the butter, sugar and black treacle.
(6) Beat in the egg in 3 additions, clearing after each addition.
(7) Add the sieved dry ingredients and carefully blend until evenly mixed.
(8) Finally add the apple/sultana, and carefully mix to evenly distribute.
(9) Place the mix into the prepared tin and carefully level out using the back of a large spoon.
(10) Place into pre-heated oven at the required temperature and bake for 60 minutes .
After 60 mins test to see if the cake is baked, this can be done by gently pressing the centre
of the cake, it should feel firm to the touch, if it is not return to oven for a further 8-10 minutes. Another home method to test if baked is to insert a thin metal skewer into the centre which will be clear when removed
If there is any sign of wetness , return to oven for a further 5 mins.
When fully baked, remove from oven and place onto a cooling wire in the tin but do not take out of tin for at least 15 mins this will allow the cake to set, however, leaving in the tin for too long, may cause the cake to sweat as it cools.